Crafts

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Roasted Vegetable Meatloaf with Mustard Mashed Potato


This is one of the most interesting recipes I have made to date. I was a little skeptical about the zucchini and wine in meat loaf. But will have to say it was out of this world with flavor and was very moist.
This will be the recipe I use when I am looking to make an award winning meatloaf for dinner.
I have to say I had real doubts about the Dijon mustard mashed potatoes. I thought mustard in mashed potatoes...  this may not work for us, but decided I would be brave and try it. I am so glad I did!! These were amazing, even my son who does not like Dijon mustard loved them. Let’s juts say Joe and Aaron went back for 3 helpings each, so I think it is safe to say this is an award winning recipe.
Adapted from Epicurious
Ingredients:
3 small zucchini, diced
3 red bell pepper, diced (I used a mixture of red, yellow and orange bell peppers)
2 medium-sized red onions, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided

2 pounds ground chuck (I used lean ground sirloin)
2 cups coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese about 8 oz (I used low fat mozzarella cheese)
1 ½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
1 ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried crush red pepper
1 cup ketchup, divided
2 large eggs
¼ cup red wine

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine zucchini, peppers, and onions in a medium bowl. Add oil and 1 tablespoon rosemary; toss to coat. Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet: sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; cool
Preheat oven to 373 degree. Mix ground beef, mozzarella, panko, basil, marjoram, 1 ½ salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, dried crushed pepper, 1 tablespoon rosemary, and 1 cup roasted vegetables in large bowl. Whisk ½ cup ketchup, eggs, and wine in medium bowl. Add to beef mixture; stir with wooden spoon until well incorporated; spoon into 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, forming rounded top.
Spoon ½ cup ketchup over top of loaf. Bake meatloaf until cooked through, juices run clear, and top is browned, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from pan from oven; let meatloaf rest 20 minutes.
Rewarm remaining vegetables mixture in large nonstick skillet. Turn meatloaf out; cut into 1-inch thick slices. Top with warm roasted vegetable mixture; serve with mashed potatoes.
*Flaky panko crumbs are the best substitute for fresh breadcrumbs in almost anything, including meatloaf. Look for them in the Asian food section of the supermarket and at Asian markets.

Mustard Mashed Potato
Ingredients:
2 ¾ pounds medium-sized Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
2/3 cup (or more) whole milk (I used just a splash of low fat milk)
3 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Directions:

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well. Return potatoes to pot. Add butter and mash potatoes until almost smooth. Mix in 2/3 cup milk and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.